December 8, 2009

Oh, the irony...

Since the day Joe and I met at OSU (almost 7 years ago, wow) he has constantly teased me about being a "city girl". I guess compared to him, I was. After all, I am from the greater-Portland metro area and he is from Roseburg, AKA the Dirty South. Joe introduced me to fishing (which I am awful at), I have still never been hunting, and big-ass pick-up trucks do nothing for me. Even more, I really miss the yummy restaurants, various entertainment options, and general civilization that a "big" city like Portland has to offer. Despite my love for natural beauty and the great outdoors, I guess I really am part city-girl at heart, which is why Sunday's debate over where to get a Christmas tree is so ironic to me...

Joe: What do you want to do today?
Me: Go get a Christmas tree and decorate our house.
Joe: Ok, where do you want to go?
Me: Let's go to a U-Cut farm, drink hot cocoa and walk around with Jack. It's a beautiful day and it'd be  fun.
Joe: Really? Can't we just go to a lot somewhere?
Me: No, I want to go to a U-cut farm.
Joe: Why? It is really not that fun.
Me: Joe, I've gotten my Christmas tree from a parking lot the last 25 years of my life. If I am going to live in the "country", I want to experience the natural beauty of it.
Joe: Seriously though, can't we just go to a lot?
Me: No, it'll be fun. Stop being a Scrooge!
Joe: I spent my entire childhood growing Christmas trees. Every Thanksgiving growing up I worked all day on our Christmas tree farm. And now my current job is to maintain and grow trees. Seriously, can't we just go to a lot?

***See pics below to see who won this discussion ;)***


So much better than a parking lot!


Jack thinks so too :)


Cruising the property before we narow it down


Jack picking a fight with a plant... that's my dog!

 
"The one"


What a natural...


Joe: (in his best Janelle-mocking voice) "I want to go to a U-cut farm" :)


Hahaha... look at that face


Seriously, who's with me on the U-Cut vs. the parking lot? I mean really, what else were we going to do all day anyway?

2 comments:

John W. said...

I gotta side with Janelle on this one. We go cut down our tree every year and it has become something of a tradition. I can sorta understand Joe's position given his upbringing and current job but it's a lot better to cut down your own tree.

Radiant Rachael's Magical Musings said...

You guys are just adorable:)