August 10, 2009

A joyful reunion...

No, not a family reunion- my family is far too small for those. Not a high school reunion either- still got a couple of years for that one. And I'm certainly not talking about a reunion with my husband- he'll return home in 12 days (not that I am counting or anything)...

The reunion I am speaking of is one that I have fought for and paid for and seems like it took FOREVER to get here. (And by forever, I really mean two months). Yesterday, when I returned home from my mini-vaca to Portland, I found my Nikon D40x DSLR waiting for me in a little brown box on my porch. For those of you who don't know, I have been without my camera since June 2009. In the eyes of a compulsive picture taker, (I purposefully avoid using the word "photographer" in referring to myself, because that might imply I am some kind of professional or something), that feels like an eternity. And the timing couldn't have been worse. Weddings, birthdays, a baby shower, a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, camping trips, hiking trips, concerts, wine tasting, and countless moments with family/friends just waiting to be documented have gone without. Or possibly even worse- they have been documented with my old, ghetto point-and-shoot that I got in 2004.

Now I know what you are thinking, how could pics with your old point-and-shoot be even worse than no photos at all? Well, I will tell you in one word: disappointment. Aside from the grocery store or gym, I pretty much take a camera with me wherever I go. You never know when you are going to see something funny, or pretty, or interesting, or fill-in-the-blank for any reason to take a photo. So, my little old Pentax has been by my side for all of the aforementioned events. I have used it many times, but it has left me disappointed time and time again. Blurry, overexposed, underexposed, missing shots due to the shutter-release delay, and lack of ability to manually adjust the aperture, shutter speed, ISO setting, or white balance have plagued my photographs ALL summer long. Recently, I stopped bringing my camera to events because I have been SO disappointed with the quality that I would rather not take any and just get copies from someone else. (Which reminds me, Mo- where the heck is my CD from Merissa's bach party and wedding?!)

Anyhow, my camera is finally back where it belongs- with me. In the new posts you should see much better photos, and while I realize no one else besides me might notice or care even the slightest bit, I can't wait to start using it again. Here are some of my fav pics that I took with my beloved Nikon for my first photography class this past spring. (I should also mention that these were all taken with no flash and 100% manual settings/focus since my flash and the auto setting broke the weekend before my class started, hence the long visit to the repair shop...)

My first day of class: learning how to play with the aperture (depth of field)

Playing with depth of field, again

My fav little subject, looking content with his ball like always

Showing movement here by adjusting the shutter speed

Don't ask me why, but I heart taking pics at night

LOVE this pic of Jack.

I liked this bench.

The lighting as the sun goes down is my fav.

Pretty flowers, depth of field again

Cute dog, pretty flowers.

Beautiful sunset on our nightly walk.

Um, hi!

Cool rustic building near Qwest Field

I love the drastic lighting here.

Sunrise in Seaside.

No comments: