June 9, 2011

Friends

It's funny how hard it is to make new friends as you get older. When you are a kid, it is easy. Any neighbor, fellow teammate, or classmate that is not a bully can become one of your best buddies. It doesn't really matter what they look like, what they wear, or what their other interests are. If they will "play" with you, they are your friend.

Dogs seem to be no different. Jack is not "breedist", does not care about age, or even if another dog likes him in return. If he meets you, he wants to be your buddy.

But somewhere along the way, making new friends gets significantly more difficult. In middle school and high school, cliques form and we become more judgmental. By the time you are a full-blown adult, you also judge people on their careers and lifestyle choices, in addition to other things. The list of potential friends keeps getting smaller and smaller, until you are left with only a select handful of people. This is probably not a bad thing if you live close to those people and can see them on a regular basis, but for Joe and I it is kind of tough right now. All of our closest friends live 3 hours away or out-of-state. Needless to say, we miss them a lot.

So, I am trying to learn from Jack and other little kiddos with seemingly less intelligence than us educated adults. Although we love our "old" friends dearly, it is time that we try a little harder here in Roseburg. Jack reminded me of this important task last week when we had a visit from one of my besties Nicole and her pup, Olive. Jack and Olive had never met, but it took approximately 10 seconds for them to fall in love with one another and become buds. Here are some pics from their visit, along with some of my oldest and bestest friends. Love you all and hope to see you soon!

Introductions
They look so fierce here, but they are both so sweet :)
About to embark on an adventure with my babies
Nicole with our doggies before our walk
Frolicking with joy
The beautiful North Umqua River
Happy Olive
My crimpy-eared Jack
Sooo happy
Tug-o-War
And the winner is... Olive!
My first and oldest friend, Jimmy Hoover
8th grade softball with Merissa and Michelle
"The best night of my life!" (until my wedding and Maddie), with Nicole :)
My OSU buddies
My bestest girls and bridesmaids
My favorite boys and loves

My little love bug and favorite girl, Maddie

2 comments:

The Richards said...

I love your post and pictures. Maddie is ADORABLE!!!! I cant wait to see you and her tomorrow.

BTW, I LOVE OUR FRIENDSHIP!!! :)

miss you

Grownup Tantrums said...

It was so great to run into you at the Fetrow house Janelle, and your daughter is just simply beautiful - heavy, yes, but beautiful. There is nothing sweeter than a tiny little Asian baby face, I don't know what it is! LOL. Anyway, it was good seeing you, nice chatting with your mom & getting to meet Maddie. Hope you had a safe drive home. =)